Welcome to

Capitol News Service

Florida's Best Political Television Coverage


Visit the Lobby Tools Website


Visit Legislative IQ Website


Recent Posts



RSS Capitol News LIVE

RSS Quote of the Day

Unclaimed Child Support Could Go To State General Fund, Not Parents

February 5th, 2008 by flanews

Thousands of single parents who need child support arent receiving it. The money is invested until it can be claimed. Now the funds could be declared missing property and go into the states coffers. As Whitney Ray tells us, the money is there, but parents just arent claiming it.

Hear it here: Unclaimed Child Support Could Go To State General Fund, Not Parents

For many parents just making ends meet is a daily struggle.

Its hard being a single parent and not getting Child support, said Jennifer Oliver a single mother raising a two year old.

For some parents the money is there. Floridas child support office has more than 20 million dollars waiting in limbo. The money belongs to single parents who cant be located. What methods the department uses to find parents is unclear. We tried to talk to the spokesperson of the Department of Revenues Child Support Division, but she refused to be interviewed on camera.

In a written statement the spokeswoman said the division makes every effort to locate the parents, yet a published report found one parent through an internet search. Right now the money is being put in bank accounts and trust funds.
The story irks mothers like Elizabeth Gabriel, whose deadbeat husband isnt paying up.

I went by the State Revenues Office, and I called, and I did everything Im supposed to do, and Im owed about 25,000 dollars, and I havent received any child support in about 12 years, said Gabriel.

A federal report suggests the excess money should be put in the states general fund. The child support division is successful in finding most of the parents who are owed money. More than a billion dollars in child support is distributed by the division every year.

Posted in Children, State Budget, State News | No Comments »

Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

copyright © 2016 by Capitol News Service | Powered by Wordpress | Hosted by LyonsHost.com