Welcome to

Capitol News Service

Florida's Best Political Television Coverage

50/50 Child Sharing, Alimony Capped Under Legislation Moving

April 8th, 2015 by Mike Vasilinda

Divorcing parents would be presumed to have a 50/50 split of child custody under the legislation, It also limits Alimony and child support payments, combined,  to no more than 55 percent of the payers income.

Two years ago, the bill made it here to the Governor’s Desk. He vetoed it because it allowed retroactivity.

Whether the legislation allows retroactivity was a major concern at the committee.

Sen. Anitere Flores (R-Miami) asked the question: “I want to make sure that there is nothing in this bill that makes it retroactive?”

Sponsor Kelli Stargel (R-Lakeland) assured her it was not retoractive.

“Yes there is nothing in this bill, Senator Soto asked the question. There is nothing in this bill that makes it retroactive.”

Tarie MacMillan was the only woman to speak for the legislation.

“I work every day and he does not. And he receives 65 percent of what I earn and I must live on the remaining 35 percent This goes on until he dies, or I die” the 64 year old woman told the committee.

Opponents, though, brought three women who say they are being harassed on social media for their opposition.

Cathy Jones of Lakeland told the committee the legislation is anti woman.

“There is no need for it. We have a mechanism for modifying alimony based on circumstances changing on either side. This is an unnecessary bill that’s punitive toward women.”

Under the bill, alimony would last for a minimum of 25 percent of the length of the marriage, but no more than 75 percent of the time in wedlock. The amount would be determined by a formula based on the couples incomes.

Posted in State News | Comments Off on 50/50 Child Sharing, Alimony Capped Under Legislation Moving

Comments are closed.

copyright © 2016 by Capitol News Service | Powered by Wordpress | Hosted by LyonsHost.com