Posted in | No Comments »
Florida's Best Political Television Coverage
- Millions Lose Drivers Licenses Each Year
- Dog Lovers Rejoice! Protections for Pets who Bite
- Forfeiture Changes coming for Law Enforcement Agencies
- House Passes Tax Cut Package, Increase in Required Local Effort
- State, Counties to Split Juvenile Detention Costs, Maybe
- Juvenile Justice Reform
- Lawmakers Want More Ignition Interlock Devices
- Thursday at the State Capitol
Capitol News Service ChannelOops, something went wrong.
- Millions Lose Drivers Licenses Each Year 1, February11, 2016Debtor prisons are against the law, but tens of thousands of Floridians who can’t afford to pay a traffic ticket often end up jailed on felony charges. As Mike Vasilinda tells us, lawmakers want big changes in the ways fines are handled. It begins with a traffic stop. Those who can’t pay often ignore the […]Mike Vasilinda
- Dog Lovers Rejoice! Protections for Pets who Bite 1, February11, 2016By a vote of 40 to nothing, the State Senate has sent a bill to the Governor allowing dog owners to explain why their dog bite someone and should not receive an automatic death sentence. The legislation was prompted by a dog named Padi who bit a child in a vets office where Padi lived. […]Mike Vasilinda
- Forfeiture Changes coming for Law Enforcement Agencies 1, February11, 2016Under current law, police can seize your property, including cash, without charging you with a crime if they think you are suspicious. the forfeitures have raised eyebrows for years, but lawmakers are on the verge of requiring that law enforcement must charge you with a crime before taking your property and they can’t keep it […]Mike Vasilinda
- House Passes Tax Cut Package, Increase in Required Local Effort 1, February11, 2016The Florida House today passed a billion dollar tax cut package that does not contain the Governor’s corporate income tax cut. But the budget also passed by the House today requires local school boards to spend more than four hundred million dollars to increase school funding in what is called the required local effort, or […]Mike Vasilinda
- State, Counties to Split Juvenile Detention Costs, Maybe 1, February11, 2016The state and counties have been at war over how juvenile detention centers are paid for for more than a decade. At least 23 counties have filed lawsuits against the state, alleging overcharges from a system that relied on estimates of human kids would be locked up. Today, a Senate committee approved a flat cost […]Mike Vasilinda
- Juvenile Justice Reform 1, February11, 2016Florida tries more kids as adults than any other state in the country, and 98 percent of those cases are due to the state’s “Direct file” statute – it basically gives prosecutors the ability to move a juvenile into adult court on a whim. As Matt Galka tells us, lawmakers are now preaching “reform” and […]Matt Galka
- Lawmakers Want More Ignition Interlock Devices 1, February10, 2016Lawmakers are looking for tougher penalties against convicted DUI offenders. As Matt Galka tells us, they’re touting a bill that installs breathalyzer technology on cars as a lifesaving tool…if they can get it passed. DUI…meet IID. Lawmakers are pushing for the technology known as an Ignition Interlock Device to be installed on all first time […]Matt Galka
- Thursday at the State Capitol 1, February10, 2016 Mike Vasilinda
- Lawmakers Split on Death Jury Verdicts 1, February10, 2016The US Supreme Court declared Florida’s death penalty unconstitutional a month ago and now Florida lawmakers are at odds over how many jurors should be required to recommend a death sentence. Until they settle the question, as Mike Vasilinda tells us, Florida will remain without the ultimate penalty. Serial killer Ted Bundy went to his […]Mike Vasilinda
- Alzheimer’s Tracking Pilot on the Move 1, February10, 2016A pilot program for seven Florida counties would spend two hundred thousand dollars on tracking devices for alzheimer’s patients. The idea is to warn families the minute their loved one starts to roam. Rep. Elizabeth Porter sponsored the legislation after a first hand experience with her parents. “Time matters when you are in search of […]Mike Vasilinda
- Anne Frank"Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson"Hitch your wagon to a star."
- Berthold Auerbach"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
- Henry David Thoreau"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it."